Switch to an accessible version of this website which is easier to read. (requires cookies)

Blair welcomes court ruling on waste incinerator

July 6, 2018 3:27 PM

John BlairSouth Antrim Alliance MLA John Blair has welcomed news the proposed waste incinerator in Mallusk will not go ahead after a court ruling.


The Court of Appeal dismissed the appeal over planning permission for the facility off the Hightown Road. Permission had been approved by the Department for Infrastructure last year but in May, the High Court said civil servants had unlawfully authorised the decision.

Mr Blair said today's decision was a good one for residents in the area and further afield.

"Alliance has been clear from the start - while the technology may be acceptable, the location was not, particularly given the concerns and objections from local people. It would have seen heavy lorries travelling constantly through suburban housing areas on road structure which is already inadequate.

"While the court's decision will have wider implications on the inability of civil servants to take decisions in the absence of the devolved institutions, it is a welcome one for the people of South Antrim.

"I want to praise the work of the campaign group NoArc21 for their hard work to prevent this proposal going ahead. We can continue to explore this technology but it should be done in a more suitable location, perhaps in industrial sites."

Recent Photos

Alliance TV