For Everyone

Alliance welcomes decision to halt waste incinerator at Mallusk

May 14, 2018 12:14 PM

South Antrim Alliance representatives has welcomed plans to halt plans for an Arc 21 Waste Incinerator at Mallusk.

Recognising the efforts of local campaign group NoArc 21, David Ford MLA said the Court decision meant that there was an urgent need to clarify the ability of either the Secretary of State or the Civil Service to take decisions affecting the future of Northern Ireland.

David Ford said: "Local Alliance representatives had previously questioned why the civil service had been able to press ahead with this decision that had the potential to negatively impact the lives of so many in the local area, when the parties should have been working to see the institutions restored and Ministers in place.

"Today's decision, while welcome locally, causes major uncertainty for Northern Ireland. With the future of civil servants taking decisions on big issues now uncertain, the Secretary of State must move Northern Ireland out of its current stalemate, restoring local accountable government urgently - or else risk slipping into uncertain direct rule.

Councillor John Blair added: "Alliance said from the start that while the technology may be acceptable, the location is unacceptable. The Mallusk site would have seen heavy lorries forced to travel through suburban housing with an already inadequate road structure.

"I want to congratulate those involved in the campaign locally, for their contribution, professionalism and dedication in standing up for their local area and putting right this wrong."