Switch to an accessible version of this website which is easier to read. (requires cookies)

Bonfire move by DUP disappointing, says Long

August 3, 2017 9:25 PM

CASTLEREAGH: CASTLEREAGH CENTRAL: Cllr Michael LongAlliance Councillor Michael Long has said he is disappointed the DUP has challenged Belfast City Council's decision to tackle dangerous bonfires.


The 'call-in' by the DUP means an independent legal position is likely to be sought on the successful motion, brought yesterday (Wednesday). The motion was designed to give the Council powers to remove those bonfires threatening lives or property.

"This is a disappointing move by the DUP," said Councillor Long.

"Following their decision on the injunction last month, the DUP have attempted to deflect from that by ever more ridiculous actions. This latest stunt adds to that list in what appears another attempt to exacerbate the situation.

"Alliance supports respectful and safe expressions of culture, but these powers are in relation to dangerous bonfires, no other ones. It is poor form from some parties to say they are opposed to the motion purely to prevent them having to show some leadership in the community."

Recent Photos

Alliance TV